Thursday, February 16, 2012

I'm not from here. An American living in Britain.

Welp it's been six months since I officially moved to British soil. Crazy how time flies because I feel like I just got here (guess the couple trips back to the states have probably helped). Still feels so strange to say I live here, so I am in constant amazement and awe that I do. It's been a fun, rewarding, stressful and sometimes homesick experience thus far. I never realized how much I valued my family and friends until I moved here. And I can't tell those who have constantly talked with me, prayed for me and supported me how much they have meant to me. I couldn't do this without you guys. I thought I would share a little of what I've learned/discovered and experienced here so far whether it's cultural, religious or just for fun. So here goes...

1. British people say there language is better than us but they speak improper English and have some crazy weird expressions. Case and point:

  • What are you like? (When you see someone doing something crazy/funny.)
  • Oh yeah it was weird as. 
  • What do you fancy? (What do you like?)
  • He's always taking the mick out of me? (Making fun of/picking on)
  • They are so fit. (They are good-looking.)
  • I can't be bothered. (I don't care. Not interested.)
  • You alright? (How are you?)
  • Pulled (picked up a girl or guy)
2. English people LOVE potatoes. Roasties, mashed, chips (french fries) and crisps (chips). You name it and they eat it at a meal. 

3. People in the southern states of the U.S. always talk about how hospitable we are. Wrong. The British people are some of the most hospitable people I have ever met. They always ask if you want something to eat/drink and constantly invite you into their homes.

4. The British eat with both a knife and fork. Except they hold the fork upside down and hold it constantly in their left hand. Seems weird, but I taught myself to do it and I feel so much more proper and civilized.

5. I had a kid call me the 'religious one' for a whole youth group session after I shared my testimony. A lot of the kids can't seem to fathom a relationship with God. They are hung up on why things happen to us that are bad, creation and other things that they have been taught in school or brought up to believe.

6. Everything closes early here between 5-6pm. The only thing open late is some restaurants, cinemas and pubs.

7. My nickname here is Lozza or Loz. It's how they shorten Lauren.

8. No one says chap, spiffing, tally-ho or hello in crazy accents.

9. People drink really young over here. The drinking age is 18 but I have encountered 12-14 year olds who drink regularly.

10. The youth workers here that I've met are driving themselves into the ground in a lot of instances. They are working so hard and just burning out. They need more help.

11. I've had a two year old correct me on the way I say my A's. According to my housemate it sounds like someone trying to start a lawnmower when I say ranch.

12. French toast is called eggy bread.

13. Washing machines are usually in the kitchen. Not a lot of people have dryers so you use the radiators.

14. TV here is mostly awful game shows.

15. People dress in all different ways here. Fashion, or sometimes lack there of, is big here. Americans could easily stick out like a sore thumb.

16. After being here six months the guy who works at the local grocery store (who I see frequently) asked me if I am American.

17. Instead of a church on every corner there is a pub on every corner.

18. The British are crazy drivers. In America we drive crazy and fast, but in a straight line. Here they have  roundabouts...

19. I thought it would be freezing here and snowy all winter. It has only snowed once. And I now think 50 degrees is warm.

20. I had a lad on a bus show me some naked playing cards and ask me if my boobs looked like that.

21. Full English breakfasts are the best things ever! Sans the beans of course.

22. I have picked up drinking coffee. I've never drank regular coffee (before it had to be camouflaged by carmel and such) in my life and now that I am in the land of tea I start...not to mention it's instant coffee.

23. I spell everything wrong. It's colour not color and favourite not favorite.

24. I can sleep with my window open and it's glorious.

25. People think my accent is "gorgeous".

26. The British have a holiday where they make scarecrows and burn them on bonfires. It's called Guy Fawkes night. Look it up.

27. A lad in a electronics shop found out I was American and responded:
"Wow I'm surprised I can understand you."
My response: "Well I am speaking English..."
That was me being cheeky (mischievous).

Alright I can't think of anything else right now so that's it for now...Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Reading through this made me laugh so much, especially number 20!

    ReplyDelete