Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent with Lozza — Day One

Lent. 
Everyone wants to know the big question. 
What are you giving up?

I've decided I'm not going to give up something per se, but instead committing to something. I had the idea to blog every day and my housemate suggested I blog about scripture, (which is perfect because I have been trying to be more diligent in reading) so I've decided to call my entries Lent with Lozza (my British nickname in case you didn't know). 

...................................................


Most people who know me know that I am obsessed with Jane Austen. A while back I bought a Jane Austen devotional for my Kindle. Some of you might think this is a little extreme, but the content is actually quite good. The reading was called Evaluating your Focus and talks about pride and vanity. 

The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thought.
 -Psalm 10:4

Pride has been around since, well, forever and is the root of sin itself. Pride caused Lucifer to rebel against God, Adam and Eve to sin, King David to lust and Judas to betray Jesus. Pride causes us to turn away from God. And society is good at promoting this. With success comes great riches and pride can easily take over a person's life. It can become easy to forget who has given us our blessings. 

Where is our focus? How do we make sure pride doesn't take over? Are we living to make God happy or ourselves? 

Now this isn't to say we won't struggle as we seek and grow with God. It's our human nature, but we can be certain that the richest and greatest life we can have is with Him. He is the only certain thing we have in this life. 

Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy.
-1 Timothy 6:17




No comments:

Post a Comment