Friday, February 24, 2012

Lent with Lozza — Day Three

I tweeted this verse a couple days ago because I couldn't help but share it. I haven't read a lot of Samuel, but my Mom gave me a devotional a while back that slowly takes you through each book in the Bible. I'm reading new things all the time, which is awesome! 


"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
-1 Samuel 16:7

It seems so easy in this world to get caught up in appearances. We all are guilty of it. People always tell us what's inside matters most but I know I sometimes blow that off. I think yeah right, looks count for something. And they do, but so does inward appearance. The whole "inward appearance" is an awkward term, so I like to think of it as the inward spirit that is shown through your outward appearance and actions. If we have a good heart it should be just as noticeable as what brand of jeans we have on. 

I love this: 

"Focus your attention on being authentic, on being real.
 Don't just put on a good face, put on goodness." 

My devotional suggests putting on godly attributes as we get ready for the day. Just like we put on our make-up, shoes, clothes—put on gentleness, self-control, kindness, etc. 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 
Against such things there is no law.
-Galatians 5:22-23

Really great thing to think about...hope it challenges it you like it has me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment