Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lent with Lozza — Day Four

Yesterday afternoon was my weekly bible study with my girls. We had been looking at Proverbs, but decided to move on to another book. They are really interested in the Old Testament and we finally decided on the book of Job, which to my amusement they pronounced j-o-b (like an occupation). I have never read the entire book before, but I know the story. Needless to say I am excited to study this with them. Especially when it has such a great message!

For those of you who don't know, Job is a wealthy man who has thousands of animals, a big family and many other blessings. Job 1:1 says "This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil." Satan comes to God and challenges him saying: “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.” The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.” (Job 1:9-12) Satan then attacks Job by having people steal his donkeys and oxen, burning his sheep and their servants, sending a raiding party to steal his camels and slay their servants and finally killing all his children. At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:“Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing. (Job 1:20-22)

The last lines of this chapter are just so moving and inspiring. The girls and I talked about how likely our response would be like that of Job's (not very likely at all). How many of us can truly say our faith and belief in God is that wonderful? That he could strip us or everything and we would still cry out worshiping him?

I pray that we remain humble as His people. Realizing all we have is His doing. We can never stop thanking Him. And the best way we can do that is to love him with everything we have, even when we have nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment